Welcome to all our new families!
Parents and Guardians who submitted an on-time application should have received a Student Assignment Letter from the Oakland Unified School District in the mail. For information about appeals, late applications, etc., visit OUSD’s Options Enrollment 2016-2017 page. Your child’s assignment to Edna Brewer must be confirmed at Save Your Spot Evening.
Brewer’s mandatory “Save your Spot” Evening will be Tuesday, March 22nd from 5 – 7 pm.
This is a MANDATORY EVENT where you will SAVE YOUR SPOT at Edna Brewer and your student will choose elective classes. Bring your assignment letter with you. There is no presentation and the process is not long. Please remember that if you don’t attend the event next Tuesday, March 22, your child will be REMOVED from the list of students coming to Edna Brewer.
You will enter through the gate on Excelsior Street where a line will form as we let families in, several at a time. If you are unable to attend, please call us at 510-531-6600 to let us know and we will make other arrangements for you.
Also, please let us know if you will NOT be attending Edna Brewer in the fall so that we can make room for the other students who are on the waiting list.
Elective choices current 5th graders will be selecting:
Students will write down their first 3 choices. All who want to be in Orchestra or Band will get their first choice. Some courses may change due to teacher assignment. We will try to give you your first choice, but this is not always possible due to class size. Students who need academic support will be placed in support classes during the elective period.
- Art: Painting, printing, drawing, art history and more!
- Expressions: A creative class teaching self-expression through dance, art, poetry, and music.
- Mad Science: Experiments and fun with science.
- Spanish: Learn to read, write and speak in Spanish.
- Rhythm and Music-World Ensemble (Orff): Learn to play music from around the world. No experience necessary. You don’t have to know how to read music.
Full year courses:
- Strings: A music class where instruments include the violin, viola, cello, and bass. No previous experience is necessary.
- Band: A music class where instruments include the flute, percussion, saxophone, tuba, clarinet, trombone, etc. No previous experience is necessary.
If you have questions, please contact us at 510-531-6600. See you Tuesday!
(Save your Spot Evening is not the same as Registration, which will be held in August.)