OUSD Options 2012/2013 – The Oakland Unified School District Options Period opens on Dec 5th 2011, and closes this year on January 20, 2012. If you are looking for high schools for your Edna Brewer 8th Grade Student, below is some hellpful information for you to consider.
In mid-October all 8th graders got to see presentations by some small charter schools in the Oakland area. Ms. Fisher, 8th Grade Vice Principal, began having conversations with the students about which high school would be a good fit for each student. Many students were only aware of the large comprehensive high schools in Oakland (Skyline, Oakland High, Oakland Tech, etc.) and not aware of the numerous excellent small public schools.
The 3 Charter Schools that visited with our 8th graders in October were :
- Envision High Schools – www.envisionacademy.org
- Aspire Public Schools – www.aspirepublicschools.org
- Leadership Public Schools – www.leadps.org
OUSD also has at least 3 small high schools: Met West, Life Academy, and Far West. Please visit the OUSD website for more information.
On November 30th from 6-7 PM there will be a “Small HighSchools” Presentation at Edna Brewer in the Gym. In addition, there will be an options fair at EBMS on December 8th at 12 for families to explore all schools.
At the November 15th Edna Brewer PTSA Meeting, Principals from the three larger highschools will present information about thier schools and allow parents a question and answer period. Please plan to attend – 7 PM in the Panther Playhouse:
- Oakland High School http://ousdhs.ousd.k12.ca.us/oaklandhigh/site/default.asp
- Open House for O-High is TBD
- Oakland Technical High School http://oaklandtech.com/staff/
- Open House at Oakland Tech is on November 3 from 6-8 pm
- Skyline High School http://ousdhs.ousd.k12.ca.us/skyline/site/default.asp
- Open House at Skyline is November 8th.
- Tours will be on December 8th and 15th. If you would like to schedule a tour, please contact Marisol Arkin at 482-7109 or email email@example.com
Ms. Fisher is asking families to think about whether a comprehensive high school or a small high school would be a better fit for their child. Right now Oakland Unified School District has a 42% drop out rate. This statistic is staggering, and if we can do a better job of placing students in the right setting, then the students will be set up for success.
Please contact Ms FIsher if you want more information about smaller high schools. She will continue to get information so that parents feel empowered to make a good choice for their kids.
Claire Fisher, AP
Edna Brewer Middle School
510-531-6600 ext. 512