Current 7th graders hoping to take Algebra next year are invited to take a math skills test in Mr. Corwin’s room (32) from 3:10 – 4:30 on either Tuesday, May 23rd OR Tuesday, May 30th. This 8th grade algebra class is a great opportunity for students to further challenge themselves in math and get ahead for high school! Please see Mr. Corwin with any questions.
This year’s Ride for a Reason was bigger and better than ever with 260 registered riders and a record $127,000 raised for the 7 sponsored Oakland public schools, including Edna Brewer.
In addition to our team of riders, we had four amazing Brewer volunteers this year:
- Eric Londgren drove a truck full of bicycles and snapped photos all day.
- Julia Fong Ma and co-pilot Bella Ma drove the Support And Gear van for 45 miles riders.
- Yasmin Medora ran Rest Stop #2 in Benicia, filling water bottles and handing out sandwiches.
- Heartfelt thanks also to Jen Ryden for co-ordinating our team the last few years.
Congratulations to Brewer students Elizabeth Laber and Audrey Stineman who rode 45 miles from the Fairfield start and Greta Glueck and Leo Mates-Muchin who rode 68 miles from the Suisun start. Thanks to the Brewer community for coming together to support this ride for public education.
Brewer will field a team for Ride for a Reason 10, the 10th anniversary ride, next year on April 28, 2018. Our 2018 Brewer R4R10 leads will be teacher Eva Stevens and parent JT Mates-Muchin. Hope you can join us!
Starting Monday May 8th, all students will be taking the state mandated end of year tests known as the SBAC Summative.
Tests will be taking place in the mornings on Monday, Tuessday, Thursday and Friday, and dismissal will be at the regular time, 3:05 pm. (No test on Wednesday because of the Science Fair.)
Encourage your student to:
- take the test to the best of their abilities
- receive plenty of rest
- arrive at school on time
- have breakfast
- bring a pair of headphones from home that plug into a regular computer jack
A small breakfast snack will be provided to all students in the morning before testing. We will provide headphones to students who do not bring their own.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the school or your student’s grade level administrator.
Sign up using the blue links:
- Mon., May 1 – PTSA provides Goody Bags
- Tues., May 2 – PTSA provides lunch
- Wed., May 3 – 6th grade families sign up to provide lunch.
- Thurs., May 4 – 7th grade families sign up to provide lunch.
- Fri., May 5 – . 8th grade families sign up to provide lunch (Cinco De Mayo feast)
We also invite families to send a note or email of appreciation to teachers and staff. Notes can be left in the front office or students can take them directly to teachers or staff members.
Full links incase the blue links do not work:
Current and New Families are invited to the last PTSA General Meeting of the year:
Join us Tuesday, April 18th at 6:30 pm in the Playhouse. Childcare and Spanish translation will be available.
- Ask your questions about Edna Brewer! Students and parents, NEW and current, if we can’t answer we will follow up with responses the week after the meeting.
- HPV Vaccination presentation by an Edna Brewer Student and her Girl Scout colleagues.
- PTSA Board Activities Summary by Julia Fong Ma, PTSA Secretary
Please join us on Tuesday, February 28th from 5:30 pm – 7 pm in the Playhouse for a Family Engagement Mixer where we will be making introductions and mingling with one another, discussing issues concerning communities of color, and coming up with next steps regarding how to better engage and serve the needs of our diverse community. Please RSVP so we can get an idea of attendance, and send any questions to me. Light refreshment, and childcare will be provided. See you there!
Por favor, únase a nosotros el Martes 28 de Febrero de 5:30 pm a 7 pm en el Playhouse para un Mezclador de Participación de Familia donde estaremos haciendo presentaciones y mezclándose unos con otros, discutiendo asuntos concernientes a las comunidades de color y llegando a los siguientes pasos con respecto a cómo participar mejor y servir las necesidades de nuestra comunidad diversa. Por favor, RSVP para que podamos tener una idea de la asistencia. Se ofrecerá refrigerio ligero y cuidado de niños.
Special PTSA General Meeting with Art Activity for the Whole Familyon February 21, 6:30 pm in the Panther Playhouse. Childcare and a light dinner will be offered.
- Briefly discuss G1 funding for arts and more. Let’s share our thoughts.
- Discuss Art Program and future goals.
- Let’s Make Art Together: All Ages!
On Thursday, February 23rd, Ruth will match, dollar for dollar, up to $1000 in donations, all proceeds going to support Edna Brewer PTSA funded programs. Details coming soon!