Is your child new to our school? Welcome to Edna Brewer – we are eager to meet you!
To start the school year, the PTSA is sponsoring a Potluck Picnic at Dimond Park on Saturday, August 20th from 11 am – 2 pm. We will be at the picnic tables near the toddler playground.
Please RSVP with what you’ll be bringing. We’ll have Mexican food (probably tamales) but will need appetizers, side dishes & drinks.
We look forward to seeing you on the 20th and Go Panthers!
Sign up for a volunteer shift at Brewer Registration. We encourage the volunteer participation of parents, guardians and responsible Edna Brewer students (Adults only for the immunization & paperwork collection stations). Thanks so much for your service to our school community!
Look for this letter in the mail from Principal Layne (by the end of July) with detailed Registration information. Please be sure to read the entire letter! Click below to read it online:
Registration can be time consuming. We therefore encourage parents to save some time and come by the school to pick up a registration packet beforehand. Packets will be available for pick up on August 4th & 5th from 10 am – 4 pm.
Please make arrangements to ensure your attendance at registration to guarantee your child’s spot at Edna Brewer. Due to an extensive waiting list of students trying to get into Edna Brewer, students who are not registered will be dropped from our enrollment. Please contact the school if you choose to enroll your child at a different school. Also, if you are unable to register your child on the published dates, it is critical that you contact Ms. Finley at email@example.com or 510-531-6600 ext. 502.
6th Grade and New Student Registration:
- Wednesday August 10, 9 am – 2 pm.
6th Grade and New Student Orientation:
- Wednesday August 10, 2:30 – 3:30 pm
7th and 8th Grade Registration:
- Thursday August 11, 9 am – 1 pm
- Thursday August 11, 3 pm – 7 pm
- Friday August 12, 9 am – 1 pm
- Friday August 12, 3 pm – 7 pm.
New Student Potluck Picnic
- Saturday, August 20, 11am – 2pm (Dimond Park) Sign-up will be available soon
SAVE THE DATE – WEDNESDAY, MAY 4TH
What you need to know:
- All students must complete a project for class grade
- All participants will be provided with a display board – no need for parents to buy one!
- Top project from each academic family will go to the OUSD Science Fair, May 18th and re [Read more…]
The Warriors are currently all the rage, but the A’s are fun too!
As a matter of fact, over 20 Brewer musicians joined the 100+ performers of the OUSD Honor Band from 8 other schools to play the national anthem at April 16th’s game against the Kansas City Royals. We even threw out the first “pitch”.
Definitely a proud Panther and Oakland moment!
Buy your Tickets for an Evening of Home Brewed Music (April 23rd). Tickets will be available through April 18th and will not be sold at the door.
You might be the lucky winning bidder for our auction item of the night, a special San Francisco Giants “Field of Dreams” Package.
Home-Brewed Musical Talent includes:
- Acid Jazz superstars, the Broun Fellinis
- Americana rockers Super Vague
- Roots rockers Wilson Wong and the Dudes
- Saturday, April 23rd
- 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm
- 658 Excelsior Ave., Oakland
- Dinner! Dancing! Drinks!
The district-approved plan was unveiled at the General Meeting of the PTSA (Parent Teacher Student Association) last night. Edna Brewer PE teachers and staff as well as parents helped shape the plan, and there are still a few decisions to make, such as which type of in-fill material to use below the turf.
Edna Brewer is still on track to have the turf field installed this summer, thanks to the efforts of some dedicated parents and local office holders. Many thanks to Oakland Councilmember Noel Gallo and School Board Director Rosie Torres for their support in pushing forward this important project!
Save the date: April 23rd!
Leave the kids at home, support Brewer, and step out for an evening of locally-grown entertainment. The Brewer PTSA is excited to present . . .
An Evening of Home-Brewed Music, featuring the house-made sounds of Brewer staff and family:
- Acid Jazz/Hip Hop trio the Broun Fellinis, with Brewer dad Kirk Peterson on bass.
- Americana Rock band SuperVague, with Brewer dad Greg Kaleva on drums.
- Roots Rock band Wilson Wong & the Dudes, with Brewer’s own social studies teacher Mr. Wong on vocals and guitar.
Dinner! Dancing! Drinks!
Saturday, April 23rd, 6 p.m. to 11 p.m., St. Paul’s Lutheran Church
Stay tuned to auction.ednabrewer.net for details and tickets!
Brewer’s annual Online Auction is coming up!
For two weeks beginning April 1st, families and Brewer supporters can go online and place bids for terrific items. The auction is one of the school’s biggest fundraisers, and in order to reach our goal we need lots of great items. Many have already been donated, but we have far fewer than in recent years.
How to help:
- Donate online! Click here to donate unused gift cards, a vacation home or condo, lessons or other services, art, very special handcrafted items – anything you think would be appealing!
- Ask a friend, relative, or a favorite local business to donate their goods or services. It’s great advertising, brings in new customers, and is 100% tax-deductible. Restaurant gift cards always sell for face value or more. Contact Kate.
- Help us follow up with merchants who have donated in the past. We have many on our list and most are happy to donate again when contacted personally. Contact Kate to find out how.
- Host a themed party or gathering for kids, adults, or both and we’ll auction off tickets! Successful ideas from the past: Dad’s poker night, origami party, pool party, dumpling-making party, karaoke and sake party. Interested? Contact Diana or sign up online
- Assist the day or night of the April 23rd Live Music Benefit Event. Contact Kate.
- Help write / edit for the online auction catalog. Easy to do at home and you will have full software support. Contact Terri.
Edna Brewer is now an Amazon Associate! This is great news for our school because it means that at least 4% and realistically up to 7% of all purchases made through the Amazon link on our school web site will be donated to our school.
If you would like your Amazon purchases to benefit Edna Brewer Middle School: