Welcome from the PTSA to Edna Brewer – the best and most diverse middle school in Oakland – for the 2015-16 academic year. For those of you here last year, welcome back. For those new to the Brewer community, welcome, and we are really glad you are here. We would like to extend a very special welcome to our new principal, Mr. Aubrey Layne, who shares our commitment to fostering a community based on equity, inclusion and excellence. The first week of school is exciting and hopeful, and with continued engagement between teachers and students and parents, our goal will be to maintain that energy and partnership throughout the year.
To fulfill our mission of strengthening a community that fosters personal, academic and artistic success of our students, we need engagement from ALL members of our community. Strong communication and participation are key to building and maintaining a strong community, so please do your part by attending PTSA meetings, signing up for our weekly newsletter (firstname.lastname@example.org), keeping in touch with your children’s teachers, and participating in Brewer events, such as our annual Burgers and Bingo night, Back to School night, Culture Night, Band and Orchestra concerts and our fundraising activities. Please also check out our website to learn more about what we do.
The PTSA aims to support the Panther PRIDE principles of Positivity, Respect, Independence, Determination and Empathy. Panther PRIDE is nurtured through core classes, PACT discussions, music programs, field trips, fundraisers, and our science fair, just to name a few. Please join the PTSA and attend our monthly meetings when you can. Donate to the annual fundraisers if you can, and please volunteer for classroom and fundraising events when you are available. All of these enrich our children’s experience at Brewer and provide support to students, teachers, and other parents.
A few highlights for the upcoming year:
1) The PTSA will work with the school and OUSD to design and facilitate implementation of a new turf field in our lower yard. We believe that this new field will foster healthier children, a safer and more robust sports and PE program, and enhanced community both during and after school hours.
2) The PTSA will support teachers and students in implementing a student-led recycling and reusable water bottle campaign, in which every Brewer student will receive a beautiful stainless steel PANTHER PRIDE water bottle.
3) The PTSA has increased its field trip budget so that all students at Brewer will be able to participate in experiential learning outside of the classroom.
4) The PTSA is increasing its support for the Brewer PRIDE program, in which students can redeem their PRIDE tickets for items at our biweekly PRIDE store and at select school-wide PRIDE events.
5) The PTSA is increasing its Healthy Snacks for Kids program, which ensures that any child who is hungry has access to a healthy snack.
These are just a few of the many ways the BREWER PTSA tries to improve our school community. Please join us. There is a place for all.
At our first PTSA general association meeting on Tuesday, September 15th at 6:30 pm we will discuss the role of the PTSA and the calendar for the year. Remember: this is the Parent Teacher Student Association. We welcome everyone and wish you all success in the 2015-16 academic year!
Thanks, and I look forward to seeing everyone at the school,
on behalf of the entire PTSA board