The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) are a new set of standards to guide teaching in California and 44 other states. They are different from our previous teaching standards in the following ways:
- There are fewer standards, and the standards are clearer and more challenging.
- These standards are aligned between states (until now each state had its own set of standards).
- They are designed to prepare students for success in college and the global workforce.
For detailed information on our state standards, see www.corestandards.org/the-standards.
For a short video explaining the rationale for the shift to CCSS, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s0rRk9sER0.
Instructional Shifts of CCSS in History, English, Math, and Science
You student will experience the following shifts in their core subjects:
- Focus on literacy (a strong emphasis on reading and writing)
- Focus on academic speaking/listening/discussion
- Focus on reading complex non-fiction text
- Focus on writing arguments with evidence